Monday, February 16, 2009

Joy In The Morning

I have always loved the phrase "there will be joy in the morning". It comes from Psalm 30. It is a Song at the dedication of the house of David, which was probably written for his palace, but may have been sung at the dedication of the temple. Just a thought.

I will extol You, O LORD, for You have lifted me up
And have not let my foes rejoice over me.
O LORD my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me.
O LORD, You brought my soul up from the grave;
You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit
Sing praise to the LORD, you saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.
For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life;
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.

I get this... it is like God speaking thru the Psalmist. The beginning of chapter 30 is psalm of praise... the reason we praise or extol the Lord is because 1) You lifted me up 2) and my enemies are not allowed to rejoice over me... or God has protected me from shame and harm. It is like the best insurance plan ever. satan has always wanted to destroy us, but that battle has already been won. The ultimate of not letting my foes rejoice over me.

The greatest thing is the same truth, if we call upon the Lord, he hears and listens and moves all at the same time. I think that this talks about physical and spiritual healing. How awesome is this. I believe that God still heals today. I believe that he is more than able to do whatever He wills. God's will is not just what we want God to do... it is what He wants to do. I think it is harder to make a god up and then live according to those rules. We do it all the time. We have to let God be who He is an quit trying to do His job for Him.

The perfect reaction is to "sing praise to the Lord and give thanks". hmmmmm Singing and Thanksgiving... reminds me of Psalm 100. Our response to God should be thanksgiving.

but then comes the best part of Chapter 30... For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life... God's favor is something that we all enjoy, that call upon His name. To live in God's favor, that is just too awesome for words. Mary was called God's "favored one" and the song she sang (The Magnificat in Luke 1:46-55) shows us how God moves and touches and brings about His Will.

There is a promise in all this... and it is something that I cling to. Weeping and grief and sorrow my just last for a night... but the the next day (even on the 3rd day) the sun rises. There is joy, there is hope, there is all encompassing peace that comes in the morning. When there seems to be no way out of a situation, the sun rises. There is always a new day.

The Psalm is ended with this thought... In the morning, my sorrow is turned into a dance. I no longer have to wear "black", but I can wear my party clothes. When all is said and done... we sing, we dance, we give thanks - forever.

Psalm 30: 11-12 says
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment