Saturday, February 7, 2009

A thought about Barbara Johnson

Every first day of the month, I remember Barbara Johnson.

I met her through a friend, Lynda Wigren. Lynda worked at Berean Bookstore in Whittier (it is no longer there), but Lynda traveled with Barbara. She'd help her sell her books, take care of details, etc. So we met... Barbara gave me her book (autographed of course) "Where Does A Mother Go To Resign?" It made me laugh.

Barbara was just funny. She had been through a lot in her life. And those things had happened years before I met her. So the Barbara I knew and loved was the "after the fact" Barbara. She had wit and wisdom. It was great to banter with her, she was well armed. But she celebrated the First of every single month. Every 1st of the month I remember her. Every single one. I just smile.

Her youngest son, Barney, came to our church for a while in West Covina (Christ's Church of the Valley's original name was West Covina Church Of Christ). And one Sunday, I ran into Barbara at the back of the old church. (dang we packed em in). We laughed about something "churchy" and she was glad that Barney was going to church.

I ran into her probably 15 times in person, and we talked many times on the phone. I moved to Colorado, then Fresno, then Kentucky...

Lynda called one day and said that Barbara had brain cancer. She was typical, Lynda... trusting in God, just as Barbara was.

My mom told me the funniest story once... and it was a true story. A friend of a friend's mom was visiting, and had never been to a gynecologist, and she was in her 70's or 80's... Her daughter set her up with her own gynecologist, and she went to work. When she got home she asked her mom how it went, and the mom was really upset. She said the doctor said something so rude and fresh and out of place... and her daughter asked well what did he say? the mom said, he said, "My don't we look festive?" Her daughter was shocked, so she just started asking questions. What did you do before you went??
well i took a shower... good
and I used some of your feminine hygiene spray... good, but i don't have any
yes you do
No i don't... show me what you are talking about
So the mom went into the bathroom, looked around and handed her a can of glitter hairspray. hence... "My don't we look festive?"

ok.. that's kinda iffish... but it's my blog, get your own.

My mom took 3 phone calls just to tell me she was laughing so hard. I of course told Lynda Wigren, who... told Barbara. Next thing I know (old Jed's a millionaire), I mean Lynda called and wanted to find out who it was, make sure it was true, etc because Barbara wanted to share it at Women Of Faith, and put it in her book.. which she did on both counts.

Barbara told it much better than I would ever have done.

ok this isn't about worship

This isn't about much more than an awesome and wonderful lady named Barbara Johnson that touched my heart and my life. I still smile the first of every month!

No comments:

Post a Comment