Monday, February 2, 2009

Stand In Awe / Habakkuk

besides how funny the name sounds to us, Habakkuk, is probably my favorite book of the OT, next to Psalms.

Habakkuk called himself a prophet... because of how he wrote his book is written, the thought is that he may have been a temple prophet. I Chron 25:1 says that Temple Prophets used lyres, harps & cymbals. Habakkuk may have been a Levite and singer in the temple... OK I THINK THAT IS PRETTY COOL. A singer in the temple -- it sounds familiar. There is a Rabbinic tradition that he was the son of the Shunammite woman's son who Elisha had brought to life (II Kings 4:16). But no one really knows about him. It doesn't matter, Habakkuk, is just an awesome. It encourages me.

I love the fact that he questioned God - a lot... I do the same thing. God can handle it. God can handle any emotion we bring to Him. Habakkuk asked God "how long must I call for help, and you do not listen?" WHAT? Ok i have never done that. demanding an answer from God. God told him that he was going to send the Babylonians to bring judgment... DAAAANNNNGGGGGG! that is powerful. God uses even the most "unholy" people to teach us and to judge us.

So the stage is set, Habakkuk questions God and when God answers, He passes judgment on the evil nations. At the end of the second chapter is probably the most misused scripture in the Bible... God says... "But the Lord is in His holy temple, let all the earth be silent before Him." I have seen this written on the walls outside of sanctuaries, meaning be quiet in here! I have to thank Ron Keller for this, but it is true, silence has nothing to do with "worship". Ron said that the only time there is "silence" in the Bible, it is for judgment, not worship! And it is true, no where in the Bible does silence = worship... NO WHERE. So this idea that we have to be "quiet" and "formal" is just wrong. Don't get me wrong.. if you want to be formal before God.. be formal, but if you want to dance and fall prostrate and lift your hands... then do it. He is not looking at that anyway... something about your heart!

The last chapter of Habakkuk is truly amazing. Habakkuk give glory to God.. in vs 2 he says, "I stand in awe of Your deeds" When you understand that you don't know God, but learn to trust in Him... the true response is AWE. The God of all creation gave Habakkuk answers to his questions and demands. He saw God as He was, and believed that God was in charge.

To set up the ending of this blog, I have to say, the end of Chapter 3 is powerful. it gives each of us hope. Habakkuk said that no matter what happens, we should Praise God. Even if everything we are, we have, we do, we want falls apart, the answer is to rejoice in the Lord. when you are waiting for destruction and judgment and God is being Himself, what would you say? What would you do? Where would you run to? What questions would you have for God? This is why I love this book. So to close this thought Habakkuk says in chapter 3:16-19:
"I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us. Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."

No comments:

Post a Comment