Monday, January 5, 2009

"as it is in heaven"

I have sung "The Lord's Prayer" many times. It is a song that is beautiful without words, but the words are the essence of the song, hence the title. Deep huh? I have thought about the words many times. When you are waiting to sing it as many times as I have (usually a cappella) you think about the words. These are just my thoughts, not trying to be theologically superior, i'm just thinking - out loud.

Our Father... I smile at that, because my dad is with my Father... it is a comforting and very cool truth. Not that I had the perfect dad, but he was definitely a blessing and a man that I looked up to. One thing I will say about dad, is that what he preached in the pulpit, he lived at home. That is the awesome part of being his son, his example and love.
Which art in heaven... I believe in heaven. I know that I will be there (through God's grace) and will see my dad, my grandparents, ok i won't do the list thing here)
Hallowed be Thy name... I have an idea and understand the concept that His name is hallowed or holy, but I don't totally know what it means. I will someday.
Thy Kingdom come... God's kingdom, the church, the believers, us.
Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven... this is my favorite part. What is God's will? the next question is what is done in heaven? From what I have read in the book of Revelation, in heaven there is WORSHIP... uhm, reading of the book, the martyrs, the Book of Life... but over and over it is about the worship. If that is God's will in heaven, it has to be the same on earth. God loves worship. He loves our adoration. He loves our exaltation. It isn't that we are so great or "special" but our Worship.., that is what sets us apart from all other things on earth. We have been given a great choice... to worship God with all our hearts, or to live for ourselves. If you read the songs we will be singing in the book of Revelation, you see that worship will be an eternal event. Should we do less here on earth?
Give us this day our daily bread... a simple thought.. understanding where all things come from, and just like He provided manna in the wilderness to the Israelites, He also provides us daily. All we have are a gift from God. ALL.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us... we all sin. we all are forgiven. One of the hardest "sayings" of Jesus was when He said that we will be forgiven the way we forgive. I have thought about that a lot through the years. Am I really a forgiving person? Am I forgivable? I have to say I have failed dearly in that area. I pray for a humble heart before God. I fail, but I do pray that I can forgive everyone like I have been forgiven. I'm very humbled by this thought. Lord, please forgive me, grace reaching down, guiding, and forgiving in return.
And lead us not into temptation... I do pray that when I am tested and in trials that I will never be tempted to walk away. I have been in the valley... the lowest part of the valley, but there is always a path back to the top of the mountain. I just pray that I will not stay too long on the path and that the trials will not get in the way of my love for God.
But deliver us from evil... I believe with all my heart that You are more than able to protect and to guide and to lead and to love beyond what even I understand. I do not want to linger too long within evil's grasp. But through Your Spirit, you comfort and You guide. Blessed Spirit of the Almighty One
For Thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever... All things are yours. the Kingdom, the church, me... You are all-powerful, fully in control of all things. You have given us the freedom to choose which path we travel on. The Kingdom (the past), and the power (the present), and the glory (the future) are truly forever. All these combined are the essence of why we worship. Kingdom Power Glory... and forever is the awesome part. It will never end.
AMEN!... i agree, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment