Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Friends make the difference

I have to say one thing about Facebook, is that it has brought many people back into my life. Which says 2 things... 1) I'm a horrible friend and 2) you are all horrible friends. hahahaha... What it does say is that we are all in the same boat. Time goes by and life gets in the way and all of a sudden it is 10 years, 20 years, 30 years...

The true test is where you pick up... a good friend is one that you leave in the middle of a sentence and when you see each other again you finish your thought. I have really good friends. I have always told my kids that your friends do help define you. The people you call friend lets everyone know what you cherish.

When I was growing up, we moved around a bit. Ministry can do things to you and your family. Dad started churches when I was young. His last ministries were in East Tennessee. He would go to a church and preach and minister. When they got to a certain number he would find someone to go and become Senior Pastor, then he'd move on. He loved it. I have to say, he was a dynamo. He never stopped. He was either making calls in people's homes, or at the hospital, or at Walmart. I told him he should be a Walmart greeter... he already was, but he'd get paid to do it if just put his resume in. He never did it. I went with him to Walmart when I was home, and it was amazing all the people knew him. It was either the churches he preached in, or just that he was a fixture at the entrance of Walmart.

I never thought twice about moving, mainly because i wasn't given a choice. Something about going with a flow comes to mind. Sometimes it was good. Sometimes it was sad. But what you leave, are friends. Friends and memories.

In the book of Acts Paul was on his way to Jerusalem, and he met the elders of Ephesus (for the last time). Friends. Co-workers. What do you say to someone that you know you will never see again? to friends that you have worked with and had spent time with and this was the last time you would see them on this side of time and space.

Paul spoke to them of his ministry with them. How he had not taken advantage of them, but worked and ministered among them. When you work in ministry with others, they become your closest friends, you become family. I have to admit that I have not taken and seized each moment I have had with friends. I have not lived all of my moments to the fullest. But Paul had definitely lived each moment to the fullest with his friends. He says in Acts 20:32-37

"Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'

"When he had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed. They all wept as they embraced him and kissed him."

To those of you that are my friends... thank you. For all the times I wasn't 100% there for you, please forgive me. For the times we had together, thank you. For all the laughs and tears... I am eternally grateful. I look forward to an eternal time with you... as if heaven was just for my personal joy. But I call you friend. And that is the greatest gift each of us can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment