Friday, January 9, 2009

You've got a friend

i love the fact that facebook has connected me to old friends. My admission that I have actually known some of my friends for 40 years and more, is just a staggering number. But when you are 54... FIFTY FOUR... you have to have known someone at least 40 years and more! I am blessed. I have friends all over the US and it seems that they are all getting on facebook.

There is something that I read years ago, the definition of a friend... I'll have to find it, but the one line that sticks in my mind that a friend is one that even tho you have been separated by time, etc. you just pick up where you left off when you meet again. That is a bad paraphrase, but you catch my meaning.

A good friend is someone that will go the extra mile. A friend knows everything about you and still wants to be around you. A humorous one a friend is one, when you have killed someone, will help you bury the body. Yes a friend knows all the skeletons, where all the bodies have been buried, and most of all know your reasons for everything you do.

There is a great old song "No One Ever Cared For Me Like Jesus." The chorus says, "No one ever cared for me like Jesus, There's no other friend so kind as He. No one else could take the sin and darkness from me. Oh how much He care for me."

We all need a friend, and many times we don't understand what a true friend is, nor what to expect from a friend. We all need someone that loves us deeply and understands us. We need someone that we can say anything to and know that they will not judge, but understand. We need someone that will see our side and fight for us.

In your life, are you a "good friend". Do people trust you and look up to you? Are the people that call you their friend getting the best end of that deal? Do you value your friends? Have you ever had a need so great and your "friend" helped you and changed your life?

In your biggest hour of need, you will find out who your true friends are. When you get to the darkest part of the valley and the only way is up, just look around, the ones with you are your friends.

I am blessed with 2 parents that always showed God's love. I didn't realize it at the time, but they were definitely living God's love. I don't remember a time in my entire life when I didn't know that God loved me. I don't remember not knowing that love and God are synonymous.

I think it is said best in scripture what a friend is. In John 15:13-15 (New King James Version), it says, "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."

The best friend you will ever have is Jesus... He has already paid the price for your freedom. To do what He commands is a small price for us to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment