Friday, January 2, 2009

Thought # 1

It has been 9 months since my dad passed away.

Grief is a weird thing. At times it is a gentle pat on the shoulder that says, remember me? At other times it comes up behind you and smacks you to the ground. It is never the same. A word, a song, a scent... that is all it takes.

One Sunday I was leading worship and in the middle of "Lifesong" there is a word in the second verse... "grief". A simple word, and as soon as I sang it, I lost it. It's one thing to grieve in private, but to feel like you want to run away in the middle of a service with all eyes on you, and to try to sing and all that comes out is a cry... and then the tears... and the music keeps on playing... and ... there it is... it all keeps going on.

An amazing thing about God's grace, is that even in the middle of a storm, there is peace. I realized at that moment, yes when i was NOT singing, playing the piano, crying, and nothing intelligible coming out of my mouth, that I was not alone. At that moment, I knew that I was not alone. It seems that God dwells among the tears and piano playing after all.

I am rambling, but hey it's my blog, so don't read it. Or, understand that You will have your "Lifesong" moment and God will be there too. I still cry, not every day, but I do cry when I think of the loss of the man that lived and breathed and loved and modeled God's love. What I do know with the core of my being is that JEHOVAH JIREH is there to give you and I what we need at all moments and seconds of our lives. In our "Lifesong" moments He is singing along right beside us and with us and for us and because of us...

4 comments:

  1. I know that pain, David. My mother passed a year ago September 12. I still find myself wanting to pick up the phone and call her. Telling her good-bye a few weeks before she passed was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do.

    Glad you're blogging...hope you will be consistent with it...it's great therapy!

    My blog site is oldguyblogging.blogspot.com

    Have a good weekend, Brother!

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - my dad passed almost 15 years ago. There are still songs and moments (especially with getting married last year and a baby due in 3 months) that get me. I can only say the times between crying gets further apart, but the emotions are still the same. Thanks for posting and being so open. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even notice when you were crying during that song. My bad. It's always nice to think that Heaven's not far away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the comments... I am really touched.

    ReplyDelete